Monday, August 16, 2010

Women's Quest

I was drunk googling one evening and looked up camps for grown-ups.  I found my dream camp....Women's Quest Adventure Camp!  I immediately signed up and headed out to Colorado a week later.  I had the best time of my life!  I loved the drive by myself up there.  It was a great time to reflect and think about the changes that have occurred in my life  and the new transitions that were on the horizon.

I arrived in Winter Park to a little rain shower and a rainbow with 777 on my tripmeter.  I knew this was going to be a very special week.

There were 26 women from all over the country and all ages of different backgrounds.  The founder  of WQ, Colleen, a former professional triathlete who had more energy than the energizer bunny!!  We had the opportunity to do as much or as little as we wanted.  Each morning we would meet up on the deck at sunrise to go for a trail run.  Usually an hour that sometimes turned into 2 hours, but felt like 30 minutes.  After our run, we would come back to the lodge for breakfast.  The first two days, we went mountain biking at Devil's Thumb Ranch.  I loved the mountain bike!! It was so much fun climbing over logs and riding through streams and past all the wildflowers in the meadows.  The columbines were amazing.

We also hiked St. Louis Pass in Fraser Forest.  It was a 3 mile hike up 1100 feet elevation gain to St. Louis Lake.  That is were we had our picnic lunch, followed by our Heart's Desire ceremony.  We all carried a beautiful rose to the top and put our intentions on the rose.  We found a spot to contemplate what our heart's desire is, and leave the rose as an offering to the universe.  I found a spot and looked over the lake.  I was overwhelmed by the power this had and left a few tears on my rose offering.  It was very special and beautiful moment.

The last day of the quest, we went to the YMCA of the Rockies for a ropes course.  It was so much fun. We climbed up 60 foot poles and repelled off, we ziplined across the valley.  I zipped upside down because I like being upside down and the sensation it gives me!!  I jumped off a pole and tried to catch the trapeze.  I got one hand on it for a brief moment.  I watched women over come their fears and do things they never dreamed possible.

This was a life changing experience for me.  I found the little girl I had to lock up so many years ago.  I let her out to play and she loved it.  I have over come my fears and let go of useless baggage that does not serve me anymore.  I have found the confidence and belief in my ability to do anything I put my mind to.  I found a poem by Marianne Williamson that resonated in me and would like to share it with you.

Our Deepest Fear

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate.  Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us.  We ask ourselves, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?  Actually, who are you not to be?  You are a child of God.  Your playing small does not serve the world.  There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you.  We are all meant to shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to to do the same.  As we are liberated from our own presence automatically liberates others.

No comments:

Post a Comment